Established in 1956, PTA UK is the UK’s leading PTA membership organisation.
As a charity, PTA UK’s main objective is:
To advance education by encouraging the fullest cooperation between home and school, education authorities, central government and all other interested parties and bodies.
We know that having a PTA is a characteristic of a successful school. It demonstrates parental engagement and attitudes to learning which are fundamental to school success. A PTA can be a powerful way to engage parents, encouraging them to contribute to the way their child’s school is run and to have a say in deciding how valuable resources are used for the benefit of their child’s education.
We want to make sure that every PTA reaches its potential and that every school has access to a PTA.
As well as helping PTAs on the ground, we have an ambition to support parent participation more generally in schools and education. We are starting to engage directly with parents to inform them about things that matter so that we can give them a voice in education.
What we are aiming to do is engage more parents in more schools in more ways doing more good for the education of children.
Read the full PTA UK strategy 2016-18 here.
Our strategic goals are:
- SUPPORT parents and PTAs. We will be the ‘go-to’ organisation for parents to get information and other resources on how to participate more in education and school life
- ENGAGE parents and PTAs so that more parents from all walks of life actively participate in education and school life
- CHAMPION the importance of parents and PTAs so that they have the opportunity to be consulted and heard, both locally and nationally.
Here’s what we currently do:
- Provide expert advice and guidance for PTAs on fundraising, governance, legal matters, insurance and volunteer engagement
- Support and training for new PTAs
- Set out a governance structure based on charity law by providing a model constitution for PTAs to adopt
- Guide and assist member organisations through the process of charity registration
- Recommend trusted suppliers and develop partnerships to significantly extend the benefits offered to PTA members
- Recognise the work and achievements of PTAs through awards, parent networks and PR
- Keep parents informed about the latest innovations and policy updates in education and charity fundraising through our website, social media, e-newsletters, magazine and helpline
- Give PTAs an online forum to ask questions and share good practice
- Represent PTAs and parents at a national level to strengthen children’s education, working with teachers, governors, education authorities, central government and all other interested parties and bodies
- Encourage educators, government and policymakers to listen to the voice of parents;
- Signpost other places to go to for information on a wide range of education and parenting issues.
Here’s what we are developing:
- New online resources for parents to help them participate positively in education and school life
- A framework for schools to support the work of the PTA and include it in their School Improvement Plan
- An Insight Group – to develop the consultation work that we do with our parents, we ultimately want to develop a national Parent Panel to give parents a voice in education
- Developing strategic partnerships to increase parental participation in education
- Developing a 21st century PTA model which incorporates broader parent engagement.
Our ambition is to engage more parents in more schools in more ways doing more good for the education of children.
Our values are:
- To be experts in all we do
- To act with integrity
- To support schools and parents
- To be innovative.
Click here to download our latest impact report to find out more about the impact we and our members are making.